That means there’s only one month left in the semester, and everyone is hitting the library to start getting those end-of-semester projects done and begin studying for finals. For the students graduating in December, the team at The Flats at ISU wants to congratulate you on your hard-earned success!
There are going to be some awesome, fun, fall-packed events this month, and we’d love it if you joined us. There will be everything from free food to everyone’s fall favorite hot drinks!
Please remember to clean up after your pets and be respectful of other residents so we can all continue to have a great semester!
Reminders and Updates
- Welcome our new Resident Director, Taylor, and our new Community Assistant, Celina! Stop by and say hello.
- Our hours are Monday–Friday from 9 a.m.–7 p.m., and Saturday–Sunday from noon–5 p.m.
- Locked out of your apartment, have noisy neighbors, or have an emergency? Please feel free to contact us at (309) 826-7850. (Lockout charges may apply.)
- Continue keeping up to date on all payments.
- Have some free time between classes? Join us for the fall events we’re hosting this month!
- Finally, if you’re still on the fence about renewing your lease for next year, don’t wait any longer! Spaces are going fast, and we want to ensure you get the space you want. Stop by our office, and keep an eye out for some more great deals to come.
Building a Career in College
College is such a busy, crazy time for many people that focusing on the here and now is all most can do. Well, good news! There are several ways to incorporate career building into your everyday busy life. By taking the following steps, you’ll be on your way to creating a successful future for yourself:
- Check out the Career Success Portal. Did you know that your community offers you 24/7 access to millions of jobs and internships along with many tools to improve your resume and interviewing skills? Check out CareerSuccessPortal.com and create an account today!
- Visit your university’s career center. Employers are focusing more and more on experience and skills rather than just good grades. Get in touch with organizations through the career center to branch out and participate in different activities you normally wouldn’t have. This gives you a chance to explore your major and others, and see what you’re truly passionate about.
- Evaluate yourself. Your future employer will want to know why you’re a good fit for their company. College is about finding your strengths and weaknesses — take time now to figure out your skills, values, personality traits, and interests. Learning about yourself will help prepare you for interviews when you’re hit with the question, “What do you think you will excel at the most in this position?”
- Challenge yourself. The more you’re willing to get out of your comfort zone, the more likely you’re to overcome your weaknesses. Apply for the part-time job at your apartment complex you normally wouldn’t apply for, or take that theater class you’ve always wanted to take. By challenging yourself, you’re building important skills and personality traits that will help you rise within your field.
- Take your work seriously. Whether you have a part-time job or volunteer, take the experience seriously. You can use previous supervisors for references when you are beginning your career. It will pay off in the long run to succeed in the workplace by building useful skills that you’ll have for life.
- Find a mentor. Find someone who is doing what you want to do. You can search on LinkedIn to get connected and network with others in your field who are also passionate about what they do. Talk to your professors and pick their brains as to why they chose the career they did. Once you find a mentor, everything can change. You become more motivated to succeed in something you love doing because you have someone who makes the experience a million times better.
Did you know you can build your credit history just by paying your rent? A strong credit history can help you with achieving personal and professional success. We have partnered with RentTrack to offer you the opportunity to have your rent payments reported to all three credit bureaus! Participants in this program have seen their credit scores go up an average of 51 points! Get more details and enroll today at renttrack.com/campusadvantage.
Community Events Calendar
Friendsgiving — November 15 — Stuffing, turkey, and cornbread, OH MY! Join us on for some festive Thanksgiving food at your home away from home.
Sweets, Treats, and Good Eats — November 26 from noon–2 p.m. — In honor of National Cake Day, we’ll be having a variety of different sweets! Come join us!
Popcorn Bar — November 28 from noon–2 p.m. — POP into December with a variety of popcorn and candy!